Sunday, March 10, 2013

Virginia Barbeque

2/18/13:

Stars: 4.75 out of 5
Pros: Service, Food, Portions
Cons: Decor/Setting


     It was my first day of my new job. Lot of pounding the pavement trying to make a little money. That, of course, builds up a fierce hunger. As we were moving around my trainer mentioned a barbeque place that he had seen the week before. I'm a fan of a little BBQ, so I suggested we hit it up. A little nourishment goes a long way.

     Virginia Barbeque (Virginia Barbeque) is located in a little strip mall off Lakeside Avenue. It's a franchise, so there are quite a few locations in VA. When you walk in, it's very basic. Not much on the walls besides newspaper articles and a few decorations. The place is small, with about 6 or 7 tables. Basically, the outside is like the inside, unassuming and basic. A fresh bright coat of paint on the walls and maybe a few more decorations could really bring some life to the inside.



     The woman at the counter was the owner. she was very pleasant to speak with and incredibly helpful. She took the time to explain some of the sauces to me, which I appreciated as it helped in my decision. I ordered the Original Sandwich Combo. This is basic traditional style hand-pulled pork, tossed in BBQ sauce and served on a roll. I prefer this sauce to the vinegar-based North Carolina sauce. I got coleslaw on mine, because that's how the inventors of BBQ intended it. I also got corn muffins and collared greens. A little Arnold Palmer to drink really rounded off the meal. Let's be honest, I was pretty excited for this whole package. Now for the waiting game...

     The owner brought out our food when it was ready. Let me tell you, it looked and smelled amazing. She also pointed me to the bottles of hot sauce. Well played madam, well played. So, I grabbed a bottle of something with fire all over the label and dug in. The sandwich, pre-hot sauce, was delicious. The BBQ sauce on it was excellent, both tangy and smokey. The coleslaw brought a little crunch to the sandwich, which I always appreciate. The greens could have been drained a touch more, but they were also good. My favorite part, as it is anytime I have the option, was the corn muffins. They were warm, which allowed butter to be slathered on perfectly. Absolutely perfect. The whole meal was great. And filling. I left there satisfied 100%.

     Virginia Barbeque is a nice little franchise. They provide an excellent meal with friendly service. If you happen to be going past one, I recommend you stop in for a quick bite.

No comments:

Post a Comment