Thursday, July 18, 2013

Going Outside Of Richmond- St. Mary's Falls in Raphine, VA

6/22/13:


Stars: 4.1 out of 5
Pros: Difficulty, Destination
Cons: Parking Lot, Trail Maintenance


     My neighbor, BN, asked me if I wanted to go on a day hike with him and a couple of his friends. They were going on what promised to be a beautiful Saturday to a place called St. Mary’s Falls (St. Mary's Falls), which I believe is also known as St. Mary’s Wilderness, out off of I-64 past Charlottesville. They were leaving at 7:30am. Well, I only worked 9pm Friday night to 6am Saturday morning and sleep is WAY overrated, so why the hell not? I was in. I got off work, packed me some peanut butter & jelly sandwiches and strapped on my hiking sneakers. I was ready to go!

     We met up with his friends at a park & ride off of 64. Our party consisted of CE (our fearless & bold leader), AE (his lovely wife), S (the rugged trail master), (S’s awesome 8 year old son) and BN & myself (the most debonair S.O.B’s you’ll ever meet). We were accompanied by C & A’s 2 dogs. Quite the party with a diverse range of experience and fitness. Being such a wide swatch of people I am able to provide a lot of different insights. It also made for a very wide range of hiking conversation, which I appreciated. We condensed down from 3 cars to 2 and  headed out. I slept most, if not all of the 1.5 hour drive, so for me it was very nice. I can’t actually comment on what it was in reality though. I have driven that stretch of 64 plenty of times in my travels back to Blacksburg and I personally find it to be an easy drive.  You will have to judge that for yourself though.

     The parking lot and trail head are located at the end of a long dirt road. The parking lot is long, but quite narrow, especially when people park along the edge behind you. I recommend you get there early in the morning and back into your parking spot. We had quite a bit of trouble getting our SUV out when we were ready to leave. An extra 3 feet in width would have made this parking lot so much easier to navigate. I feel like at this point though, it is how it will always be so get there early and park smart.

     The trail head is marked with a giant board that provides all sorts of information, like what to do if you encounter bears (don’t attempt to snuggle with them). The trail to the waterfall isn't terribly long, I want to say 2.75 miles. It follows a stream/river for almost the entire time. You veer away from it briefly, but it’s never very far away. The trail starts out pretty easy. We hit a nasty smelling muddy section about 15 minutes in and it was the first of many. Granted, it had monsooned almost every day for the entire week so that was to be expected. I found the trail to be fairly challenging. It certainly isn't the type of trail you want to do if you are just expecting a nice stroll through the woods. There are several sections where you are gingerly stepping on the edge of a drop-off. Not a big one mind you, but 5 to 10 feet high. Enough of a fall onto rocks that if you slipped off, you would be painfully aware of it. There are also several river crossings. Not the kind with a bridge or stepping stones, but the kind where you just walk across the river. If you intend to stay dry when you hike, this is not the one for you. I suggest you wear either good supportive water-shoes or a pair of sneakers you don’t mind getting wet and muddy. You can wear hiking boots, but the trail isn't that difficult that you really need them. I did just fine in my sneakers.






     All that being said, I was very disappointed in the maintenance  of this trail. Maybe I’m just spoiled by all the hiking I've done in the Adirondacks of NY and the Blue Ridge Mts. around Blacksburg. Those trails all seem to be constantly maintained and updated. This trail looks like someone started, but just gave up. One part of the trail collapsed into the river back during the torrential rains from a hurricane years ago. No effort has been made to reconstruct that part of the trail. Instead, they just added a river crossing, a 30 foot trail and then another river crossing. There are also plenty of blown down trees that haven’t been cleared off the path. Not a big deal for the adults, but a bit of a struggle for the 8 year old. It makes me wish that the government would reform the Civilian Conservation Corps so that they could maintain and expand all these trails. But that is a wish if I've ever made one…

     The goal of this hike is, of course, the waterfall. It certainly isn't massive, but it’s really pretty. It dumps down into a very deep swimming hole. There are 2 little cliffs that are very accessible if you are one of the brave that wants to jump down into the pool. I am not, but C and S both did it. The water is… well, freezing is truly the only word to describe it. It isn't bad once you get in, which is the hardest part. If you climb above the falls via the path to the left there is a second swimming area up there. That is where S convinced his son to jump in twice, like a little gangster. He was pretty gutsy for a little guy. Kudos to him. The dogs really enjoyed the water too. They were able to keep up with us the whole hike. I don’t think that would have been the case if they had been leashed though as there is just too much stuff to climb over and around. So, if your dog has a tendency to bolt away if not on the leash, not a good hike for them.




     The walk back to the car seems way longer then the hike up because you are tired. It’s where  had the most trouble. But getting back to the car and changing out of our wet shoes and socks (BRING DRY SPARES) was an amazing feeling. I slept most of the way home (I had to work that night too so leave me be) so I once again can’t comment on the drive. Sorry folks.








     If you are looking to spend the day out of Richmond proper and want to challenge yourself then head to St. Mary’s Falls. The hike is nice, the swimming is fun and there are lots of breweries & wineries on the way back home to quench your thirst (see my next post).

No comments:

Post a Comment