Monday, November 19, 2012

Joe's Inn

11/15:

I had to go with my roommate AC to pick up her car in downtown this morning. We both realized we were super hungry and the neither one of us actually wanted to cook. She suggested Joe's Inn (Joe's Inn) as she had been there several times before. It's right near her brothers place in The Fan. I had been to their other location in Bon Air before for their delightful breakfast buffet. So, off we went.

Joe's Inn servers breakfast all day and also lunch and dinner. Both locations are fairly large. They have various rooms with a lot of seats. I am confident that if you were to return with a large party that you wouldn't have to wait very long, if at all for seating. We were the only patrons when we arrived so we chose a nice big booth.


As we sat down, the first thing I noticed was the huge selection of beers they have on tap and in the bottle. They are all conveniently written on a giant chalk board that covers one wall. They are all fairly priced for a pint too. Next time I'm back I'll remember to take a photo. I am a big beer fan and their list convinced me to come back to try a pint in the future. That and I knew I was hooked for a second visit when AC said, "The best part is you can get breakfast ANY time!" Sold...

AC ordered the french toast with a side of bacon and I got the American Breakfast, which is eggs, meat, potatoes and pancakes or french toast I'm a cake man myself. Our waitress was what I'll call "diner waitress friendly". What I mean by that is that she wasn't overly talkative and outgoing, but she wasn't rude. She was there doing her job and she was effective at it. She kept the water glasses filled, which is huge for me, and brought our food out quickly.


The food itself was pretty good. AC's only complaint was that it was a little too much toast and not enough french. Had it soaked a touch longer in it's egg wash it probably would have been fine. They were some pretty thick pieces of toast though... AC couldn't finish it all. She also had buyers remorse on the bacon upon seeing my ham, but she wasn't displeased with the actual bacon.

My breakfast was overall very good. The eggs were cooked very well with that runnyness I love. The ham was also fairly good for being sliced deli ham. I am a fan of a ham steak for breakfast, but the bit of crust they put on this allows me to forgive them. I enjoyed the tomato that they added as a garnish. It complimented the saltiness of the ham and the runnyness of the egg very well. The potatoes were cooked with a little onion, which added nice flavor. There was a little lack of flavor to the potatoes that a dash of rosemary or thyme could have fixed. As always, I saved my pancakes for last. They were fluffy and big, which I appreciated. Occasionally I would hit a pocket of vanilla, which made the bite extra sweet. I was not a huge fan of that, but I ate them anyway.


 The my meal, with a glass of milk, was roughly $9. I was full and over-all pretty satisfied when all was said & done. AC's meal was roughly $6 and she certainly left full. I will certainly be back to eat at Joe's Inn, in both locations. I would like to see if they pop-off late night and try one of their beers alongside my breakfast.



No comments:

Post a Comment