Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Sticky Rice

11/21/12:

     Met up with some friends of mine for dinner at Sticky Rice, a personal favorite of mine. I was introduced to Sticky Rice (Sticky Rice) when I first visited Richmond about 2 years ago and I try to go as often as possible. It's a small, loud, packed, dark dive sushi bar in all the best possible ways. You will most likely have to wait for a table as they are usually full up. If that's the case, put in your name and go across the street to their take-out store "To-Go-Go". Get yourself a bucket of tots (more on these soon) and savor those as you wait for your table.


I got there earlier then my friends and was able to secure us a table. The waitress was very attentive to me as I waited. She got my water and made sure to keep my glass full. This is big for me as I drink a TON of water. She also pointed out the specials page and told me to flag her if I needed her. Most of these girls have been here a while so they know their job. They may not always be the friendliest, but they know their stuff and try to accommodate, in my opinion. As I waited, I glanced over their menu. I'm a big fan of the front cover design, not that that has ANYTHING to do with anything. Just saying.

Once my friends arrived we promptly ordered a bucket of tots. Literally, "We'll take a bucket of tots." were the words out of MG's mouth as she was sitting. Then she looks at us and said, "I mean, it's crazy not to, right?" Well played MG, well played. The tots are just your standard tater tots, like the kind you used to get with school lunch. You get a good amount too. It's enough for 3 or 4 people to have as an appetizer. And I'm saying that as a big eater. I hardly ever share. The best part of the tots is that they are served with a Sriracha-ranch dipping sauce. It's cool and spicy at the same time. It boosts ordinary tots to a whole new level. We always end up ordering more sauce because it's never enough. I also like to dunk some of my sushi in it. Both MG and I have tried to make it at home with no success. Not sure what we are doing wrong, but we can't duplicate it. I vow to get it someday...


The menu at Sticky Rice is excellent. It has a variety of dishes and caters to meat-eaters, vegetarians, vegans and gluten-free people. Most of their menu can be fixed to accommodate your personal needs. I'm a sushi man myself so I went for that. You order all of your sushi on a piece of paper that you just give the waitress. The specials are not on there, but if you want one just write it on. You can also writer special requests, like additions or subtractions on there. The sushi guys are very good at honoring what you would like. PG and I each got one of the specials, the "Eat Mor Chikin" roll. I also got a Goochland roll. MG got the Southland roll I believe. She had them add cream cheese to make it a Dirty Southland roll.


Our food arrived at our table and conversation silenced for a few minutes. All the rolls looked delicious. They are served in, what seems to me is, a manner for sharing. They put several rolls on one plate with wasabi and pickled ginger. This is very convenient as we are usually trading pieces of roll with each other. I suggest your table get a variety and try them all. The "Eat Mor Chikin" roll was a futomaki roll made with sticky chicken nuggets, lettuce, tomato, red onion and cucumber topped with  wasabi-ranch. It was very tasty. The Goochland roll is a personal favorite of mine. It is smoked salmon, goat cheese, scallions and sesame seeds. I think of it as a slightly jacked up Philadelphia roll. I can't remember the contents of MG's roll, but she gets it often and loves it. I eventually hope to eat my way through their sushi menu. I'll report back as often as I can.

From Left to Right: 2 Eat Mor Chikin, Dirty Southland & Goochland

I highly recommend you give Sticky Rice a try. It's a staple of Richmond. It's a good idea of what defines the culture of this city. Good food, average prices and a varied clientele. Give it a chance and thank me in the comments section later.

No comments:

Post a Comment