Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Travels of the Taste Buds- Boston's on the Beach in Delray Beach, FL

7/21/13:



Stars: 4.4 out of 5
Pros: Decor, Service, Food
Cons: The Band



     The weekend in Florida moved quickly. The wedding was amazing (Colombians really know how to salsa, I do not). I got to spend the last full day hanging out with my family on the beach, which was very nice. We also got to have one last big meal together. Other wedding guests recommended Boston's on the Beach (Boston's on the Beach) as it was close to the hotel and had decent grub. It was agreed upon and we strolled right down the street to get some dinner.



     As it was off-season, we were seated fairly quickly. Boston's is a fairly large place with a big outdoor seating area that has views of the ocean. We chose to sit indoors (which was a slight mistake later). The theme of Boston's is kinda cheesy, but still neat enough. It focuses on all of Boston, MA's sports teams. Being from the North this seemed funny to me, but I forgot we were approximately 1,444 miles from Boston. And that most people who retire to Florida are Yankee's. Having not really been to Boston in several years, I appreciated all of the Celtics and Patriots decor and memorabilia. My mother, being an avid Yankees fan, did not love the Red Sox stuff. She got over it though.

     Our server was very nice and super friendly. She greeted us with a big smile and kept it going the whole time we were there. She paid attention to our drink glasses and kept them filled. Big kudos on that as I tend to put away a lot of liquid at a meal. She also made sure my niece's food came out way before the rest of the meal so that my sister was able to feed her and focus on her meal. That is excellent table management in my opinion. Very good work on Boston's end on hiring and training good staff.

     My family always starts out with appetizers and beers as we ponder the menu. I chose not to get a brew so I didn't even really pay attention to what they had. But I know what we got for apps. We started with a family favorite of calamari and we also got artichoke & spinach dip. The calamari was decent. Not the best we have ever had, but still decent. The artichoke & spinach dip was phenomenal. It was cheesy, creamy and warm. It had just the right amount of artichoke chunks and bites of spinach. And the toasted pita it was served with was the perfect bread to use. I would highly recommend it.



     Once again my family bounced all over the menu when they ordered. I only needed a quick glance to focus all of my attention on fish tacos. I mean, we are on the ocean so it can't be shipped from that far away right? If it is, don't ruin this for me. I ordered them grilled, because the fish should always speak for itself. The tacos were great. Instead of diced up fish shoved in a shell it was giant pieces of excellent fish in a wonderful taco. The spicy tomato salsa and the chipotle aioli were excellent compliments to the fish. And I could not have asked for a better side dish then the island mango slaw. It was spicy and sweet at the same time. I could have eaten a bowl of that alone. It was great.



     My only complaint was the band that was setting up while we ate. They were very crass and rude, in my opinion. Now, I will never begrudge someone a cuss word or 2 as I am not a clean mouth myself. But when there is a 2 year old around, I try really really hard to watch myself. They took no notice and continued to drop several profanity laced conversations in loud voices. Not something I wish to hear in a restaurant anyways, but certainly not with a baby in the group. Had we been at the start of our meal, I would have said something. But we were finishing up so I let it go. Still, it's annoying...

     Boston's on the Beach was a very good spot for us to have a last meal as a family. It worked out well and we all enjoyed ourselves. If you are in Delray Beach anytime soon and need a taste of the North, stop in at Boston's on the Beach. Make sure you get the fish tacos.

No comments:

Post a Comment