Monday, October 7, 2013

Kitchen 64 Revisit - Breakfast

9/1/13:



 Stars: 4.7 out of 5.0
Pros: Waitstaff, Selection, Speed, Quality
Cons: To Go



     My friend CB and his girlfriend LB just moved to Richmond! It's a very exciting time. I wish all my friends would move here, but that's probably won't happen. Anyway, the weekend that they moved down we had the chance to do breakfast. CB, his father and I met up at Kitchen 64 (Kitchen 64) as I had never tried their breakfast. I have been here twice before for dinner (Visit 1) (Visit 2) with mixed results. But I am stubborn and refuse to give up on a place so quickly, especially when there are eggs involved.

     We arrived and were promptly greeted & seated in the front room by a very pleasant hostess. There were quite a few open tables but the place was fairly busy when we left. Our waitress came over soon after we sat down. She welcomed us and engaged in a slight bit of chit chat, which was very nice. She gave us menus, answered our questions about take out and then left us to study the menu.

     The breakfast menu has a very nice variety of selections on it, but it's not overwhelming. You should be able to find something you enjoy. I have never been one who craves Eggs Benedict, but Kitchen 64 has the potential to change that with their selection of different "Bennies". It wouldn't be today though. CB and his dad focused on the french toast with the fruit on the side & a side of bacon while I went with huevos rancheros. I pondered a $12 pitcher of mimosas, but I felt that would maybe make it look like I had a drinking problem. So, I went with milk. We also placed a to go order of pancakes for CB's mother to come out at the end of our meal.



     We placed our order and began chatting about the move. I, never having rented a moving company, was surprised at the cost. Granted, I know moving isn't cheap as I have done it a bunch of times. And I've always wanted to hire movers, but damn... I can't afford that. Anyway, that's neither here nor there. We weren't chatting long before our food was brought to the table. I know breakfast is considerably quicker to cook, but kudos to the Kitchen 64 back-of-house staff on being super speedy.

     The french toast was quite the plateful. It looked very good to the point where I always feel a touch of buyers remorse for not getting it. I always feel that way AFTER seeing french toast. And to use the word side when describing the mound of bacon on the plate seems to wimpy. It would almost be better to say a plate of bacon with a side of french toast... And the bacon was good, I had a taste. Some was chewy (which I love) while others were crispy. A nice fair mix. Now, onto my huevos rancheros. This was a big bowl of eggs, peppers, onions, avocado and chorizo all over salsa and beans draped with a cheese quesadilla topped off with a little sour cream. It's almost 2 meals in one. The edges of my bowl were neatly drizzled with Siracha, which was a wonderful addition. I set about immediately to breaking my over-easy eggs and mixing everything together. This was a killer breakfast! All the flavors blended nicely and everything was cooked wonderfully. I could have eaten a second bowl (figuratively, not literally as I was stuffed). I would recommend this dish to anyone who ever asks me for a breakfast that will leave you stuffed in Richmond.




     After we were done the waitress brought us our check, but not our to go meal. When we mentioned this, she acknowledged that she had completely forgotten to put the order in. She was quick to rectify this mistake and she willingly coped to it so I only removed .03 stars. I appreciate that she fixed it as quickly as possible. It also gave us a chance to discuss the Flying Squirrels season, their purposed new stadium and their attendance statistics so it wasn't a truly devastating mistake.

     My third visit to Kitchen 64 has swung me back in to their positive fan-camp. I was very impressed with my visit this time, in no short part due to the food. Kitchen 64 certainly has a wonderful breakfast going on. If nothing else, I will be back to sample more breakfast items (especially that mimosa pitcher). Next time you find yourself in Northside around breakfast time, swing in and fill your belly.

No comments:

Post a Comment