Monday, September 30, 2013

Flying Squirrels

8/21/13:



Stars: 5 out of 5
Pros: It's a baseball game... it's all a positive
Cons:



     "Who wants to go to the Squirrels game? I have free tickets" was my group text message. I had in my possession 7 FREE tickets to the Flying Squirrels game and I did NOT plan to waste them. If I had to go by myself, I was going. Thankfully BN, CE, AE and a late appearance by TG saved me from having to do this. We all agreed to go watch the Richmond Flying Squirrels (Flying Squirrels Baseball) take on the Harrisonburg Senators at The Diamond. Summer baseball! Always good stuff.

     We arrived, paid our $3 for parking and made our way to the gate. We were about 10 minutes late for the start of the game, but that did not stop us from getting some freebies. The Virginia Peanut Growers Association had other farm groups had booths set-up in the plaza. We stopped to grab a few things. I got the always necessary koozie, as did BN. AE stopped to chat with one guy who gave her a hat. She promptly put it on and wore it for the rest of the night because that's the kinda badass chick she is. We also stopped and got big old beers. The Flying Squirrels provide a big beer (I think 18 or 20oz.) for $9. It's a very good selection with plenty of local favorites so it's an excellent deal. We skipped on the hot dogs, but we know they tempt me...



     We first attempted to ignore the seats on our tickets and sneak into the lower seating area. Unfortunately for us, Flying Squirrel security/ushers were on their game and stopped us cold in our tracks. AE tried to reason with the gentleman, but to no avail. So, we climbed the stairs to our assigned section. Surprisingly, the seats weren't bad at all. We could see everything. They were fairly comfortable. And we were able to see a wonderful view of the cityscape. I was pleasantly surprised. The only problem was that things thrown from the field, like free t-shirts, didn't quite reach us. Foul balls did, but t-shirts did not. Very sad.




     I know that the Squirrels stadium is old, but it still has a certain appeal to it. You can watch the game or look out across the city. You can people watch. You can yell, scream and cheer. Conversation is possible with those around you. The staff is friendly and food, on certain nights, is very affordable. We ended up having 2 beers. The beers (food too) are easily accessible and there is never really a line. This all adds up to a wonderful experience.I think it is the perfect stadium to enjoy a game on a beautiful Richmond night.



     The Squirrels won the game we were at 4-3 in what was actually a very exciting game. Sadly, the season is currently over, but I very much look forward to next year. Do yourself a favor and go to a game or 2. Maybe try to make it on "Bring your dog to the park" day or maybe for a bobble-head giveaway. Need a solid date night idea? Catch a game. The Flying Squirrels are a wonderful part of Richmond. Make sure you take the time to experience them.

No comments:

Post a Comment