Monday, November 19, 2012

Phil's Continental Lounge

11/16/12:

After a nice night of beers at the Hardywood Brewery CB, JK and I decided we needed some food. JK suggested we go to Phil's Continental Lounge (Phil's) over on Grove Avenue. He said they had killer Limeaids and good food. CB and I jumped in the car and began our trip to Phil's.

We had to park off of Grove Ave a little south of Phil's. If you don't mind a little walk, and we don't, then parking is plentiful. As we walked up Grove we passed the other Continental and the Blue Goat, which I plan to try out in the future. Aside from both restaurants Grove was fairly quiet. When we got to Phil's we could hear the live music pouring out of the door. We stepped inside to a packed house, which isn't hard to do as Phil's isn't very big. The band was playing classic rock directly to the left of the front entrance. They were good and we didn't feel the music was invasively loud. We stood looking around for a table for just a minute before a waitress came by to assist us. She scoped out the tables and found us one where the people were just getting up to leave.

Once we were seated, a different waitress came up to help us. She was great. She offered us menus and joked with us for a bit before convincing us to try the Limeaids. I'll admit, I never have been nor do I foresee me ever being a Limeaid fan, but I gave it a shot. The vodka was noticeable, but not discouraging. The flavor was there, but it didn't convert me to a true believer. The boys liked theirs and promptly had a second. I switched to good old Bud Light bottles, which were $3.50 for an 18oz. I'll take that deal all day.

Both fellas were feeling some wings and the waitress guided them in the right direction. They both ordered a large wing for $10.50. I felt the need to branch out so I got "The Sailor" which was knockwurst with pastrami and Swiss melted on top all on rye bread for $7.25. How could that be bad? Our waitress took our menus and put our order in. She checked on us a few times while we waited for our food, which I appreciated. She was attentive, but not intrusive. Our food came out relatively quickly for how packed they were.

The wings were good. I assume this as our intense fantasy football discussion was abruptly halted as both fellas inhaled them. Being from NY like me and having gone to school in Buffalo, JK was the review I wanted the most. He said that they were some of the best wings he's had in Richmond. They weren't soaked in sauce, as some tend to do. The flavor was just the right combo of actual taste and heat. Size was acceptable. Phil's, you currently are our #1 place for wings. That is not a title to scoff at. We are particular to put it lightly.


My sandwich was on point. The bread was delicious with just the right light toast to it. The meats were both delicious and easily distinguishable. I added a little brown mustard, which was conveniently on the table, but the sandwich was perfect on it's own as the chef intended. I am excited to try their other sandwiches, but I feel "The Sailor" will hold a special distinction in my heart.

Phil's Continental Lounge had a lot going for it Friday night which puts it on my list of return visits. The music was good. The waitress was attractive, friendly and helpful. The beer price was nice. The food was great. And to top it all off, prices were right where we wanted them to be. Nice work.

No comments:

Post a Comment