Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Da Farm

7/3/13:



Stars: 5 out of 5
Pros: Friendly, Variety, Accommodating, Fresh
Cons: 



     Hardywood holds a farmers market (Grow RVA Farmers Market) every Wednesday afternoon and I had been meaning to attend for some time before it finally worked out that I could. So, I took a Wednesday (before the date indicated above) and headed over with BN to get a beer and some fresh produce. It, of course, poured the day we decided to go so I didn't bring my camera. But I wasn't about to let a little rain stop me from getting my fresh veggies.

     When we got there only 4 stands were set-up and enduring the rain. We got our beer and stood under the overhang chatting. Suddenly some random dude began discussing the benefits of genetically modified crops (GMC's) with us and a lady next to us. She quickly began to argue him pushing the benefits of heirlooms varieties over lab created garbage. I was 100% on her side because that's the way I look at it. In talking with her we learned that she was the farmer from the stand we were standing next to, Da Farm. As the rain had stopped I chose to peruse her merchandise.

     Da Farm (Da Farm Facebook) is located in Mechanicsville and isn't by any means huge. It's roughly 3 acres, but Cathryn (the farmer) works it with the help of just her family and friends. Cathryn greeted us with a giant smile and a friendly handshake. She talked to BN and I about all of her different varieties of veggies and really dedicated some quality time to us, which I appreciated. She listened as BN and I explained how we fire up the smoker every Sunday and smoke anything that's edible. She told us that she has several varieties of trees on her property and would collect some wood for us to try smoking with. And when we came back the next week, she remained true to her word. She had put together a very nice bundle of peach and grape for us to use.



     Da Farm has a great variety of produce. You can find a great variety of tomatoes, eggplants, radishes and beans (just to name a few things). If you are looking for something in particular, just ask. Cathryn has a ton of stuff she hasn't brought yet still on the farm. Every week I end up picking up several things. I ALWAYS get her blackberries. She thinks they are a bit tart, but I love them. And they are great for cooking with. She also has fresh made jams, pastries and farm-fresh eggs. She also puts together weekly baskets if you need a lot of produce. You can order them on her Facebook page or by calling her. She also does custom baskets if you want specific things (we got one of all salsa making products we could smoke).






     All of Da Farm's produce is so fresh tasting. It also happens to be organic. I have made some excellent meals out of the produce I have gotten. If you don't believe me that it's all delicious, get one of their tomatoes and get one from the grocery store. Eat a slice of each and see which one you like best. I bet Da Farm's tomato wins by miles. And it's all so affordable. Everything is priced to be affordable on any budget.




     Next time you have a little time on a Wednesday afternoon, stop by Hardywood and find Da Farms tent. Browse the amazing selection of products, talk to Cathryn, buy yourself a bag full of goods and then prepare for a farm fresh feast your mouth won't soon forget.

No comments:

Post a Comment