Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Benny's BBQ

12/24/13:



Stars: 4.7 out of 5.0
Pros: Big Place, Excellent Appetizers, Big Menu, Wonderful Smoke Flavor/Quality Food
Cons:


     As I was finishing lunch at the ATR (ATR Post) I got a text inviting me to enjoy some dinner with an excellent group of people. As I am always planning my next meal, I happily RSVPed yes. I was told we were going to be doing some BBQ at a place in Bon Air called Benny's BBQ. I had never been and I don't often get to see the people that invited me so I was stoked. Digest fast lunch because the BBQ Delicious Express is on it's way into the station. Woot WOOOOOTTTT!!

     Like I said, Benny's BBQ (Benny's BBQ) is on the very edge of Bon Air (I guess it's technically in Hugenot). This is a section of town I don't visit much so this whole experience was new for me. Benny's is located in a very nice strip mall that is accessible from Huguenot Rd. Parking was easy which is always a bonus.When you step into the restaurant, you realize it is a fairly big place. There are 2 large seperate seating areas. The kitchen is big and open. There was plenty of room for our group of 8. We didn't feel cramped at all.

     There were a few people there already when I arrived, namely our hosts DS & EJ. I was also happy to see my old eating compatriots SC& MF. About a minute after I sat down our waitress delivered a round of wings to our table that had been ordered prior to my arrival. I ordered a beer and scooped myself up a wing. They were excellent! They had a wonderful smoke flavor to them, which you could both smell and taste. They weren't breaded which is the way a wing should be. The smoking method as opposed to frying was new to me in a chicken wing, but quite pleasing, There was a good amount of sauce too, not dry and not dripping wet (which is not pleasing). We quickly devoured all of them and promptly ordered a second order.




     As I sat and studied the menu I was impressed with the offerings. The choices were vast and all looked amazing. It wasn't easy to choose between ribs or smoked pork or a half chicken. I wanted them all right then and there, a giant plate of bbq'ed meats. But alas, that wasn't in the cards. A decision had to be made, a smoked meat product chosen. And sides... let us not forget the sides. These are almost AS important as the main dish. A wrong side choice could set the whole plate into a terrible downward spiral. So, after careful consideration,  I went with the whole smoked chicken and a side of mac n' cheese. Winner winner chicken dinner!




     We were all pretty ready by the time dinner arrived. The scent alone was fantastic and smokey. Trading began almost right away with part of my chicken being swapped for some ribs. A solid deal if I do say so myself. I started in on my chicken and was instantly pleased. The flavor was spot on. The skin was crisp. The meat was tender and juicy. Both the dark and white meat were evenly delicious. It was excellent chicken. The mac n' cheese was an excellent side choice. It was creamy and cheesy in just the right way. I was a big fan and glad I chose it. The ribs I traded for were excellent. Not dry in the least. The smoke had really penetrated the meat nicely, I would have been just as happy with my meal had I gone ribs instead of chicken. Everyone else seemed very pleased with their meals as well as people stuffed themselves and took home leftovers.






     Dinner at Benny's BBQ was a wonderful way to spend a Saturday night with friends. We all really had a great time and I'm grateful to DS and EJ for organizing it. Truly wonderful hosts. If you find yourself in the mood for some excellent BBQ in the Bon Air area, stop into Benny's BBQ. It seems you would be hard pressed to pick something that wasn't tasty.

No comments:

Post a Comment