Monday, February 17, 2014

The Grill

1/18/14:



Stars: 4.6 out of 5.0
Pros: Great Space, Friendly Service, Quality Food
Cons: 



     NK and I were ready for some breakfast. Pancakes had been dancing through my mind for days now (let's be honest, they always do) and I needed to scratch that itch. I had been looking to try The Grill for some time now and this was a great time to give it a shot. As it is close to the house, NK was very enthusiastic to go. So, we skipped off to eat our Wheaties.

     The Grill (The Grill) is located on the corner of Libbie and Patterson. It's a nice looking building with a big front porch area. Parking is a little tough, but not impossible. Just drive around and pay attention to where u-turns are actually legal. Getting a ticket prior to brunch is no bueno. Once we stepped into The Grill I was shocked at how big it actually was. There is the front porch, the dining room and a separate bar area. I would never have guessed that looking at it from the outside. It's a wonderful space complete with old photos of the Richmond area. I tried to take in as much as possible while we waited for our server.





     As we sat chatting were heard the sound of dishes falling to the floor. One of the waitresses had dropped a bowl of grits onto not only the floor, but also most of her clothing. We watched her cleaning up as the hostess brought menu's to our table. She was friendly and quite personable. She explained that she would be our waitress as the other one was understandably busy. I confirmed breakfast was still being served and then she took our drink orders. I noticed that they had Breckenridge Vanilla Porter on tap, so I had to get a breakfast beer. I also got a glass of water and a glass of milk. It is breakfast after all. I then began to study the menu like a man preparing for his bar exam.



     The menu had a lot of very good looking options on it. Three Cheese Chili Nacho's, for example, get hopping off the page at me. So did the Pimento Cheese Burger. But this is breakfast time man, FOCUS! Now a tough issue I have when it comes to breakfast is what kind of day am I having: is it a French Toast day? Waffles? Pancakes? Maybe eggs? If eggs, do I want an omelet? What kind of meat product sidekicks do I want to garnish the plate? Truly a set of questions more puzzling than people who rally behind Justin "I Am A Worthless Part Of Society" Beiber. That's when I saw that I could get a custom made omelet with home style fried potatoes AND a short stack of pancakes for only $7.95. Done and done, with a side of pancakes. So, I got that and NK went with 2 eggs over medium with bacon and a biscuit.






     Our food came out of the open kitchen (I like being able to watch the cooks) in a respectable amount of time. My omelet was not a monster, but was nicely packed with ham, broccoli, mushrooms and Havarti cheese. Each bite had a little chunk of something in it. It was quite good. My potatoes could have stood for a touch of sauteed onion to give them a little pop, but they were still pretty good. The pancakes were truly what I was looking forward to. They were fluffy and light, just the way they should be. They absorbed both the butter and the syrup nicely. All in all, quite a pleasing breakfast. I also got to sample NK's as she never eats her full meal. I'm not a biscuit man, but with the egg and bacon on top, it made a tasty vessel. It wasn't my idea of a breakfast, but it worked.




     The Grill is good, plain and simple. The staff was pleasant and the food was tasty. The drink menu is big enough to provoke me to return in the future. And I'm looking forward to the warm weather so I can try dining in their outdoor area. It's the quintessential neighborhood bar and I like that. I shall return.

No comments:

Post a Comment