Thursday, May 2, 2013

Hollywood Cemetery

4/22/13:

Stars: 5 out of 5
Pros: Lots of History, Well Maintained
Cons: Few People to Talk To? Cause They are Dead... (It's a cemetery... are there really cons?)


     I needed to get out of the house and get a little Richmond in my life. And for free, cause I was broke. What to do, what to do... Ahhh... Hollywood Cemetery (Hollywood Cemetery). I've been wanting to go there for awhile, but it just never seemed to work out. Today would be the day! The weather was nice both for photos and for a stroll. Today I will not only get some history in me, but I might just get a little exercise doing it. To the history!!!!



     Hollywood Cemetery was established back in 1849 on land owned by William Byrd II. It covers 130 acres, which is quite a bit of land so make sure you wear comfortable shoes. It was designed in the rural garden style, which means that landscaping was incorporated into it's design. Trust me, that is evident in a good way. There are trees, flowers and bushes aplenty. The headstones and mausoleum blend beautifully in with the carefully planned landscaping. The grass is kept, the bushes trimmed and trees monitored for dead branches. I, having worked in a cemetery, truly appreciate that it's well kept and looks good.


     Hollywood Cemetery has a lot of history to it. There are U.S. Presidents, Jefferson Davis (the Confederacy President), Confederate generals, Confederate soldiers, poets, doctors, writers, etc. There are old and intricately carved headstones. It's truly an interesting place to just wander around and look. It's one place where you can go out and touch history at it's most somber. There are also guided walking tours available for those that want a little direction. I plan to go back and take one one day this summer.



     I will end this post a little nontraditional today. I will say that yes, I recommend you go to Hollywood Cemetery. Take some time one day and go learn a little history and take in something that is just pleasing to the eye. It makes for a nice little day. Now, I will end with a few more photos to just try to help you appreciate the trip.







No comments:

Post a Comment