Tuesday, April 30, 2013

What to Do This Week

4/28/13-


   I have decided that I'm going to try to keep you, oh faithful readers, abreast of upcoming events as often as I can. My goal is every Sunday, but don't hold me to it. Things come up and such. Anyway, lets take a look at the weekend ahead starting with the return of good solid live music on Brown's Island.

     For all my music lovers out there, it's the return of Friday Cheers out on Brown's Island. I have never been to a Friday Cheers, but if it's anything like Alive at Five from back up in Albany, NY then it's a blast. Live music, friends, fresh air combining together to close out the week is the way to go. I have heard that it's best to get there early and bring in a picnic dinner. I'm pretty sure that "adult beverages" are not allowed though. The performers this week are co-headliners: Shovels and Rope and Hayes Carll. Two bands for $5? Sounds good to me. This is one event I'm itching to get out to so lets hope for good weather. For more information, look here: Friday Cheers

     For all my savvy art fans out there in need of a new piece for their walls you will need to check out the Richmond Arts in the Park art show this weekend. This art show (supposedly one of the best in the country) brings over 450 artisans from all sorts of generas to Byrd Park to show and sell their masterpieces. This is a free event with free parking and a free shuttle. I can't tell you I'll be attending as I will never claim to have any real style or taste. But I know some of you do and you should get out to support the arts. You can find more information here: Arts in the Park

     For those looking to find a cure for cancer (as we all should be), there is a Relay for Life event this weekend in Chesterfield. It's never too late to sign up to help or donate to the cause. It will be held at James River High School on Saturday. I know I have participated in many of these events in the past and they really do work towards a good cause. More information can be found here: Relay For Life

     For those of you really looking to explore downtown Richmond AND want to walk 6 miles then you need to sign-up for the Times-Dispatch Go! Discover Richmond. This walk will take you all around Richmond including jaunts into downtown, Jacksons Ward and the Capital. The $25 registration for this event goes to support Fit4Kids, a group that improves the health and wellness of kids in the area through physical activity and promoting healthy eating. It looks to be an good family-friendly event that supports a good cause. More information can be found here: Times-Dispatch Go! Discover Richmond

     For those of you who appreciate everything from that rare $50 bottle of wine down to the everyday $4 bottle from Walmart I suggest you hustle on out to the Montpelier Wine Festival in Montpelier Station, VA. This event is held at the home of president James Madison, which is probably a lovely setting. It will feature 24 wineries this year from all over Virginia. Tickets are $15 in advance. If I knew I wasn't working, I would be there in a heartbeat. Here's a bit more info: Montpelier Wine Festival

     For those of you curious about Asian American culture there is even an event for you this weekend. The Asian American Society of Central Virginia will be hosting the 16th annual Asian American Celebration at the Greater Richmond Convention Center. Admission is free and there will be all sorts of food, culture and educational exhibits. This will probably be a very interesting event that I recommend you check out and report back on. The flyer can be found here: Asian American Celebration

     Well my faithful readers, that is my rundown for this week. I hope you find it a bit helpful. I also hope it encourages you to get out and check out some fun events this weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment