Monday, January 7, 2013

Bellytimber Tavern

12/31/12-

     Sorry for the lack of posts. The holidays kept us from going out much. But I'm back with an excellent place to tell you about. EG and myself met up with a friend of ours NW for dinner and some drinks at a place called Bellytimber Tavern (Bellytimber Tavern) on West Main. Not exactly sure where they got the name, but I suppose that really isn't the point. I will say right up front that I highly recommend this place. Now let me tell you why.

     We walked in and NW already had a table for us. The first thing I noticed was the lack of booths. If there were any, actually, I didn't see them. I'm a big fan of that. Being a bigger guy from a bigger family I have come to not appreciate the small amount of room booths provide. I like being able to push my chair back a little. I'm sure this is a debate that could rage back and forth all day, but for me tables are the way.



     EG and NW both got beers from the EXCELLENT tap selection. I saw they had a variety of selections including Arrogant Bastard and Southern Tier IPA, both personal favorites. One negative is that the chalk board closest to us with the selections is really placed low behind the bar. Perfect for all the seats at the bar to see, but impossible for anyone else to read. And as they didn't have a draft menu at the table this left us to wait for the waitress to rattle them off. There is a second board, as can be seen in the above photo, but the lighting also made it difficult to read. That possibly could have just been me though as I didn't have my glasses on...

     The menu at Bellytimber is a fairly basic one. By that I mean that it's 1 page, front and back. I appreciate that as they focus on what they are good at. I always look at a 5 or 6 page menu with apprehension. You can't be good at cooking all of that stuff. But Bellytimber knows what they cook well. They have the standard appetizers and salads on the front of their menu, but the real magic is on the back. They have a great selection of sandwichs and an amazing selection of pizzas. More on this soon. So, as EG and NW were enjoying their beers we began to peruse the menu. Suddenly the scent of wings struck my nostrils and they smelled AMAZING. The couple next to us had just received 30 wings in 3 different flavors.I was tempted to ask them for one, but I refrained. NW decided to get some wings, chipotle lime flavor. EG went with a simple grilled cheese with a side of mashed potatoes. I went with the Sausage Craft Amerikrainer with a side of mac 'n cheese. What is that, you ask? Allow me to explain. It is a sausage made with pork, beef, cheese and cherry peppers. It's put on a hogie roll and topped with peppers and onions. It was a very big sandwich. And it was delicious. The mac n' cheese was a great addition to this meal. I liked that they used elbow macaroni, which most places don't. It was also solidly cheesey, which is all one can ask.


     NW was very pleased with his wings. He felt that they had good spice, but they didn't burn your tongue out. He appreciated their size and felt that even thought you only got 10, it felt like 12. I stole one myself and I had to agree with his assessment. EW also liked her grilled cheese. She said her mashed potato side was good, but she wished she had the mac n' cheese. No one likes buyers remorse.

     After we were finished, we began discussing all the different types of pizza that the Bellytimber has. Not only do they have your traditional toppings, but they also have some VERY different stuff. They have locally made sausages, oyster mushrooms, arugula, and duck. That's right, duck. A personal favorite. So NW ordered the Duck Pie, a wood-fired pizza topped with duck confit, hoisin, cheddar, red onion and cilantro. To say that it was amazing is not doing this pizza justice. The duck was all that I hope duck to be. The punch of the cilantro and the snap of red onion played so nicely together on a wonderfully crispy crust. It was just a stellar pizza. I look forward to trying their other pizzas. If they are even half as good, then Bellytimber is my new go to pizza place.



     When our checks came NW revealed that Bellytimber had been on Groupon and he purchased the coupon. $30 worth of food for $15. Not a bad deal at all. I love when a business uses the tools at their disposal, like Groupon. It's a win for everybody. I would certainly recommend The Bellytimer Tavern to any and everyone. When you are looking for a different type of sandwich or an off-the-wall pizza, Bellytimber is the place to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment