Thursday, January 24, 2013

Stony Point Fashion Park

1/22/13:

Stars: 4 out of 5
Pros: Dog friendly, open-air mall, variety of businesses
Cons: Expensive stores, caters to women

     After taking the dog to the vet yesterday I figured she would like to spend some time outside on a walk. I considered the dog park, but the fact that the wind chill made it 19 degrees outside I decided to go with some place that offered wind protection. So, I took her to walk around Stony Point Fashion Park (Stony Point) where we could duck into stores if need be. Plus, I have reviewed 2 restaurants from there already (Brio and Champps) so it was about time to review the mall as a whole.

     I remember the first time EG told me about Stony Point. She explained that it was an outdoor mall (strange concept to a native New Yorker) that was dog friendly. Sold. Any placed that I can shop, eat AND take the dog is a good place in my book. Means I don't always have to leave her alone at home, something I'm sure she doesn't love. Taking her yesterday was our first visit together. Even knowing it that it was a dog-friendly mall I was still a little nervous. What if she pooed on the sidewalk? What if she pees in the flowers (something she loves to do)? How do I know what stores I can take her in? So many questions and only one way to find out the answers. Boldly we plunged in, poo bag in pocket.

     Walking through Stony Point is almost like walking through a very long courtyard. It's mostly paved with cobbles. It has very nice fountains randomly through out. There are benches, tables and flowerbeds interspersed along it's length. Basically, very appealing for a shopping experience. Add in the fact that the sun shines down on you and there isn't a lot of wind and you have a nice place to stroll along. I appreciate the fact that I can go her instead of an indoor mall as a change of pace.



     As I was walking I noticed the answer to some of my burning questions. Randomly (well, their on the mall map) along the way there are Dog Comfort Stations. "What are these?" you ask while looking quizzical. They are troughs of fresh water, a poop bag dispenser, a shovel and a trash can. Pretty much anything you or your dog will need. They are conveniently located around the mall as are numerous water bowls. These are outside most stores. Kamea wasn't interested, but that could have been due to the ice that was on the top of most of the water as it was well below freezing. I also figured out how to tell if the stores were dog friendly or not. Yes, this is a dog friendly mall, but not every store needs a lumbering mass of dog wandering around inside it. All of the ones that accept dogs had stickers in their windows right by their front entrances that said so. Some of these stickers said "Small Dogs Only", like Sur La Table. I can only imagine the tail of an excited Great Dane sweeping stacks of expensive plates onto the floor... Just make sure you look really quick before springing Fido on the unexpected patrons and staff within each store.



     Now, I won't review any of the stores here as most are big chains, like Dicks and Coach, that we have all been too. Others are small places, like Three Dog Bakery, which I would like to review in the future. But, I'll give you a quick idea of what's at Stony Point. Like I said already there is a Sur La Table, Brio, and Champps. There is also a Subway, Chipotle, PF Changs, Louis Vuitton, Saks Fifth Avenue, Restoration Hardware, Yankee Candle, Gap, Banana Republic and so on and so forth. There are a lot of different places, but it seems most appeal to women. There were relatively few stores I felt a desire to visit. Plus, they are expensive stores. I can't afford to shop at Oakley or Brooks Brothers. And don't get me started on Paradise Pen Company. They have $300 pens!!! Who uses those? A $4 box of Bic pens write just as well.

     In short, Stony Point Fashion Park has a great idea going. Being able to take Kamea out in a social situation like this is good for both of us and I plan to keep doing it. The selection of stores is vast, if not a bit tough on the wallet. Still, it's nice to browse. Now if I can just get Stony Point to throw an Old Navy in then I would be all set.

No comments:

Post a Comment