Wednesday, December 25, 2013

Going Outside of Richmond- Virginia Tech Football in Blacksburg, VA

10/26/13:



Stars: 4 out 5
Pros: Tailgating, Nice Stadium, Great Seats, Enthusiastic Crowd
Cons: Tech Lost



     When I first moved to Blacksburg back in 2007, I refused to be sucked into the "Hokie community". In Upstate NY, we don't celebrate college football like other sections of the country and I wasn't about to just change. I laugh at that thought process now. I was quickly sucked in, went to every game I could and even worked for the VT Police Department for about 2 years. I was a Hokie through and through. I still am even though Richmond is my home now (and possibly for a long happy time). So, when my old police buddy/roommate CW and his wife SW invited me to spend the weekend at their place and use their tickets to the VT vs Duke, I eagerly agreed.



     I always enjoy seeing my old roomies and am always grateful that they let me and the dog crash at their casa. It just so happened that this was a game one that a lot of old colleagues and friends were going to be attending. SB and her whole family would be there. Rackspace, my very former employer, was hosting a tailgate. And I got to see my former roommate AW. After I met up with AW and his buddy, we decided to go to the Rackspace tailgate as he was also a former employee. It is always nice to see former coworkers outside the office. Especially this group as they are always a lot of fun.


     For all those who have never been to a college football game, you are missing out. Tailgating is an art form that can really only be appreciated at a college football game. Sure, people tailgate all sorts of events, like weddings and the NFL draft, but a college football tailgate is truly the epitome of what tailgating is supposed to be. Its food, drinking and friends. And the tailgating food... that's where it's at. In this case, it was a catered event. I will never hate myself for that. And it was fantastic to see my old coworkers.  They are an amazing group of people. Smart too. They are certainly some of the best at what they do. I appreciated that they invited us to tailgate with them. I had a great time.



     AW, T and I all headed into Lane Stadium for the Tech entrance. It's one of the highlights of VT game, for all those have never been for a game. 66,000 people jumping up and down screaming & cheering while VT players coming running onto the field to Metallica's "Enter Sandman". It is quite a stunning thing to be a part of. If you ever happen to make it to a Tech game, make sure you make it to the team entrance.





     Lane Stadium is a beautifully designed arena for college football. There isn't really a bad seat in the whole place. The boxes (which I've been lucky enough to watch games from on several occasions) are amazing. The field is well maintained and always looks nice. The new scoreboard is big and crisp. Certainly an upgrade from the old one. I'm sure there are college football stadiums that are newer, fresher and better. But for a land-grant university set in the mountains of south-west Virginia, Lane Stadium is a treasure. I wouldn't trade one visit there, be it for a football game, concert, graduation, workout session or personal photo shoot, for any of those bigger, fancier places. When you've been there on a crisp clean fresh fall day, you will see exactly what I mean.




     By a sheer stroke of luck, all of our seats were together. We all made our way down the stands to our seats. Our seats were about 10 or so rows away from the field. We sat behind one of the end zones so we had a fairly good view of the action. I am very appreciative to CW and SW for hooking me up.





      The game was fairly decent. Both teams played well, but Tech could have played better. We couldn't seem to put the ball in the end zone, which was indicative of Tech this year. We relied heavily on a QB who is a better TE and a MISERABLE excuse for a kicker who shanked more field goals then he should have ever had the chance to kick. And for that, I demote Tech one whole star with a sad & heavy heart.






     I give the crowd one thing though, they seem pretty enthusiastic. I know people have gotten down on Tech's fans the past year or so. But we show up at each game, we cheer throughout the games and win or lose, we are back each week. This game was no exception. We showed up and we yelled our faces off. Just like everyone around us. Plus, AW kept up a hilarious running commentary the whole game.  It was truly a great time.



     If you haven't already experienced a college football game or you are a die-hard fan, a VT football game at Lane Stadium is a must do. But do the whole thing, tailgate included. It is one of the best ways to spend a fall afternoon. Hopefully, Tech will pull it together this year a reward your devotion with a win.

No comments:

Post a Comment