Sunday, December 29, 2013

Popkin Tavern

11/15/13:



Stars: 4.3 out of 5.0
Pros: Big and Spacious, Great Beer Selection, Quality Appetizers
Cons: Small Late Night Menu



     It's a rare occurrence when SW, MC and I get a chance to hang out together. Mostly because SW lives in Blacksburg and traveling 3 hours to hang out for a night is a long trip. So when SW came into town for a soccer tournament, we jumped at the chance to go out together. We met at MC's house for some pregame wine and cheese before setting off into the rainy night.

     We ended up walking down the street to Popkin Tavern (Popkin Tavern). I will be the first to admit that I had a vision in my mind of Popkin Tavern. I expected it to be small and dingy with a long bar full of shabby old locals. To say I was wrong is a touch of an understatement. Popkin Tavern is a big spacious establishment. There is ample seating and a big inviting bar filled with a wonderful cross section of Richmond's people. I was instantly very pleased with our choice.




     We sat down at a table and were almost instantly greeted by our friendly waitress. She went over the vast amount of tap beers and left us to make a choice. The selection is large and diverse. It is neatly broken into sections that help isolate a beer that will fit your tastes. As it was cold and rainy, I went with a flavorful porter. And that took me about 5 minutes too long to choose. I like having a beer menu with a lot of options.



     After we got our first round of beers I began to peruse the food menu. The options all looked good. I was pretty much ready to go when the waitress popped my bubble. She told me that the late night menu was restricted to just the appetizers. NOOOO!! I was so looking forward to a pizza or maybe even a burger. This had to be a mistake! Why would they throw a wrench in my stomachs plans like this? Great great sadness fell upon me and some stars fell from my rating.



     That being said, I reassessed my menu choice quickly. A round of calamari for the table. It was wonderfully breaded and nicely cooked. The flavor was fresh. I also really liked the dipping sauce. The girls also seemed to like it. It didn't take long for the plate to end up clean. Next time I go, I look forward to trying the pork belly sliders.



     After our food and a few more rounds of drinks, we settled up and left. Popkin Tavern is certainly on my radar for a return trip. The beers, the food, the atmosphere and the friendly staff are all welcoming. I suggest you head there when you have all sorts of beer confusion. They have what ails you.

No comments:

Post a Comment