Friday, September 6, 2013

Alamo BBQ

8/2/13:



Stars: 4.9 out of 5
Pros: Menu Selections, Beverages, Food
Cons: Nature



     My buddy JT's sister was in town for a visit so he invited BN and myself out to dinner with them. She had lived in Richmond in days gone by and she wanted to go to Alamo BBQ (Alamo BBQ). I had never been there and I heard it was some very high quality BBQ so I was instantly in. We decided to meet there for dinner before I had to work. I was pretty stoked.

     As I walked up to Alamo BBQ, I found myself engulfed in a wonderful smoke that came from their large outdoor smoker/grill. It smelled wonderful with notes of oak, tangy sauce and juicy meat. I need it made into an air-freshener stat. That is how my house would smell. The seating area is a large wonderful patio with lots of tables. It truly would be the only way to respectfully enjoy BBQ. Outdoors on a wonderful summer night. I arrived first and was impatiently patient while I waited for the others.




     Once they all got there we stepped up to the giant menu boards and the ordering window. I was torn with so many good things to choose from. I knew I could easily go broke and get super fat if I lived near here. After much debate (and everyone else ordering) I went with a portabella taco and a Texas Train Wreck with chicken. I made both these choices knowing I would have to return to try everything else because it all screamed delicious.




     I was also very impressed by the drink selection available. They serve plenty of homemade drinks and the one that called out at me was their version of the Arnold Palmer. Now, being a Northern boy, I had never really heard of an Arnold Palmer (sometimes called a Half 'n' Half) till I moved to the South due to our lack of sweet tea drankin' up there. I also know that a traditional Arnold Palmer is half sweet tea and half lemonade, making it one of the most delicious drinks ever. The Alamo BBQ version is half sweet tea & half house-made lime-aid. Ummmm... YES PLEASE!! It was fantastic! Amazing! Stunning! Thirst quenching! And I had 3 due to free refills. Get it! Do it! Love it!

     When our orders were called out we each sat down to a mountain of food. BN got the well recognized Alamo Cuban Sandwich with chicken. (Named "State Sandwich of VA"). It looked wonderful and I PROMISE that it has been haunting my dreams. I'll be getting one soon. JT and I each got the Texas Train Wreck. That is your choice of meat over baked beans, mac & cheese and corn bread with onions & jalapenos sprinkled on top. It's the Southern version of a garbage plate. I went with chicken on mine. It was a wonderful blend of flavors and textures. Each piece of it on it's own was complex and satisfying, but when combined together it was a gift to the palate. As if that wasn't enough, I also had the portabella taco as a side dish. Granted, it was big enough to be a meal on it's own. The portabella was cooked wonderfully. It was marinated in a flavorful sauce. The taco shell was a hardy one which is certainly required with all they pack in. It ALMOST makes me consider turning vegetarian. Almost...





     The only thing that caused me distress was nothing that Alamo has control of, hence I only took off .01 stars. Nature is a wench man. There were quite a few persistent flies that would NOT leave us the hell alone. Now, I can't blame them. If that was my existence I would try to hang around the most quality food my pin point sized brain could find. But for the love of all things holy, stay away from MY food. I am not one to mess with.

     Alamo BBQ has moved itself to the top of my BBQ list. They put out a quality product for a wonderful price to feed the masses. And they do it quietly, letting the food speak for itself. Kudos to you Alamo BBQ. Here is my hand and here is my heart. They are both yours till you decide to shutter your doors forever (don't let that be for the next 90 years or so till I'm dead).

No comments:

Post a Comment