Friday, September 27, 2013

Carytown Burgers & Fries

8/18/13:



Stars: 4.5 out of 5.0
Pros: Menu, Outside Seating, Portions, Quality
Cons: Tiny Lobby



     I had been trying to meet-up with the founder of Provide A Ride (Provide-A-Ride) for roughly 2 weeks to get an interview for my article. Finally, we were able to arrange a time that worked best for both of us. We met at Panera, chatted for about an hour and a half and then parted ways. By the time we broke I was starving. I am anti-Panera as I think you spend a lot of money for a mediocre product, but that is neither here nor there. So, I decided that it was time to try something new and I walked over to Carytown Burgers and Fries (Carytown Burgers). I had heard much about this place and was ready to sink my teeth into a big greasy burger on this miserable rainy day.



     I walked into what I will call their lobby. It's where you study the menus and order you meal. I walked in to find the lobby pretty full already, which isn't terribly difficult to do given its size. There was roughly 8 other people in there so I was forced to sneak my way forward, grab a paper menu and study it in the back. Granted, this is really just personal inconvenience, but dining is a personal experience hence the lost stars. I'm sure others just accept it for what it is, but this is my blog so I get to whine about what I want.




     As I studied the menu I was very impressed with how expansive it was. Carytown Burgers & Fries really has brought the humble burger into a new realm of existence. You can keep to the basics if that's your comfort zone. Simple hamburgers, cheeseburgers and bacon cheeseburgers (I love that bacon is basic now. I couldn't agree more.) Just simple burgers for simple tastes really. Gussy them up with various condiments. Go crazy Boo-Boo. Go crazy. Or you can jump right to the real deal stuff. Grab yourself a Flying Squirrel Burger which has peanut butter, cheddar and bacon on Texas Toast. Or maybe The Bomb is more your style. That comes topped with chili, cheddar, onions and mushrooms. These are just 2 examples off the list and I haven't even described all the non-burger options. I, myself, was looking for something with a little bit more sophistication. A touch more dignity. Something that appealed to my love of all things meaty. This led me to one burger: The Barnyard Brawl. A 1/3-lbs. burger topped with chicken tenders, bacon, a fried egg and American cheese. I added pickles, mayo and a touch of the lettuce, just for color. If this burger doesn't say "I am an adult!" with authority then I don't know what would. Just to ensure I sent the right message, I also got a strawberry milkshake like men are known to do.

     I placed my order and headed for Carytown Burgers & Fries large outdoor seating area. They apparently also have an upstairs area, but I am a man of fresh air. Their outdoor area is enclosed in a nice tent-like structure that keeps the rain out, but lets the fresh air in. There is lots of seats and tables so there was no concern about finding a place. There were several large parties out there when I arrived. And, if you will pardon me for a moment, here is where I rail against stupid people. The outside area is enclosed. And, correct me if I'm wrong, probably non-smoking. So why would you smoke out there? There was one group just puffing away the whole time. Now, I don't care personally about a little 2nd hand smoke, but there were kids everywhere. It annoys me that people don't take stock of their surroundings before they light up. Just saying, if I have to worry about my language then you should worry about your dank smoke. Anyway, back to our review here. The seating area was great. I was able to spread out at a table and work on my article a little with plenty of room for food and drink.

     Speaking of food... as I sat there and worked the guy came out with my burger. My first reaction was one of giddy excitement. This was a big old burger loaded high with toppings. When I first ordered, I got no sides and had a bit of concern about this. Was it going to fill me? Would I feel buyers remorse? Would I have to snack later? These concerns quietly plagued my mind as I waited. Then this burger arrived like a monstrous avenging warrior and smote these foul thoughts with it's sesame seed bun enclosed burgery sword of justice.

     My first bite into this burger confirmed that I had made a very sophisticated adult choice. The combo of the crunchy chicken tender, the fatty egg and the intensely meaty burger blended together in wonderful harmony. The light touch of lettuce kept things fresh. The tangy pickles cut through the wonderfully greasy texture (I say greasy in the best way possible. It's how a burger should be). This was truly an excellent burger all around. I found myself slightly distressed upon reaching the last bite because it represented such a finality to it. I pondered ordering a second, saving the last bite of the first till it arrived and then carrying on. Now, I would have been full to the point of painful, but c'est la vie. And let me touch on my milkshake before I forget. They use Homestead Creamery ice cream to make these thick marvels. It was an excellent addition to my meal.





     I feel like I barely scratched the surface of Carytown Burgers & Fries menu on this day. And the scratch I had was an inspiration to work my way through their burger menu. If you find yourself wandering Carytown and you get a bit peckish for a big meal at a reasonable price, walk into Carytown Burgers & Fries. You are sure to find something that will cuddle your taste buds just right.

No comments:

Post a Comment