Friday, September 13, 2013

Going Outside Of Richmond- McAfee Knob in Salem, VA

8/7/13:



Stars: 4.0 out of 5.0
Pros: Parking, Trail, Difficulty, Top
Cons: Trail Head Access, Mother Nature (Again)



     I lived in Blacksburg, VA for 5 years. That is 5 years of outdoor activities, including numerous hikes all around the area. And yet, for all the hiking I did (it's more then you would guess from looking at me) I never managed to do the one hike that is most popular, McAfee Knob (McAfee Knob). It is one of the most photographer parts of the Appalachian Trail and being the photographer I attempt to be (Shameless Plug) I seemed to completely overlook it. Well DM and I drove BACK to Blacksburg to correct this injustice on our days off from work. The dog came too, mostly because she lacks the mechanical dexterity necessary to feed herself.

     McAfee Knob is accessed off of VA 311 just outside of Mason Cove and Bennett Springs. There is a giant parking area, which is really nice. Some hikes require you to pull onto a strip of gravel. This parking area is massive and is the perfect staging area if you have a large group. It is also highly visible to passing traffic which helps reduce the risk of any incidents, like people breaking into your car (not that that is a problem I have ever had while hiking, just saying it). We parked, loaded up our packs and headed out.




     You access the trail head by crossing over VA 311. Be careful as it's not truly the best line of sight for traffic and people don't always slow down. Crossing with an over-excited 65 lbs. Doberman really didn't make it any easier, but this is my own burden to bear. Just watch yourself when crossing. Nothing ruins a hike like shattered bones, concussions and a case of the death-by-car.




     The trail is incredibly well marked and wonderfully maintained the entire expanse. You should not have any trouble following it. It's not incredibly wide most of the time. You generally can't walk side by side with a hiking partner, but it's not like you're turning sideways to squish through the trees either. The local boy scouts have added some very helpful bridges along the trail. It is easy to traverse and wonderful to hike on. The difficulty isn't what I would say is terrible either. It's not a short hike, 4.4 miles one way, and you climb 1700' in that span. That doesn't seem like a lot on paper, but it is a noticeable change. You will be sweating and ready for a break by the time you reach the top. Bring a good supply of water as you will drink a lot on a hot day. It wasn't hot when we hiked, but the air was heavy. We drank. I think this trail/climb is manageable for a lot of people (my plump, yet sexy, butt did it which means ANYONE can).





This is what I have to work with...



     I can't tell you how long it took us to hike to the top as I didn't bother with a watch. I can tell you that I took many photos which slowed us down. But we made up time trying to keep up with Kamea. All dogs need to be leashed on the trail and I followed that rule. This meant that I got pulled along, but I'm respectful of other hikers. We made it up to the top. I was so excited to see the wonderful view. To soak in the panoramic views of the valley. To really embrace nature and smile all that marvels this world has to offer. To feel like a king... WHAT THE HELL? CLOUDS? We hiked 4.4 mile up for CLOUDS? Damn you Mother Nature!! Damn you!!!!! Oh well, I still get to have lunch on the top of a mountain while everyone else is forced to sit at work all day. The top of McAfee Knob is wide-open with plenty of room for spreading out a nice lunch. And when it's clear, I hear the views are stunning. We just aren't that fortunate. It didn't stop us from getting the customary sitting-on-the-edge photo.








     On the way back down we decided to take the fire road. It cuts about .5 miles off your trip back down. The going is way easier which is a blessing for me as I have a bad knee. Going down causes me WAY more problems then going up so the easier trail helped. It's also fairly wide so you can walk with someone and have a conversation. If you aren't looking to kill yourself on the way back, take the fire road. It brings you out about 200 feet below the parking lot.







      The hike up to McAfee Knob is a fun challenging way to spend a day. The views are great along the way and from the top. It will certainly leave you feeling like you accomplished something that day. Do not pass up a chance to hike such a beautiful trail. And don't forget your camera.

No comments:

Post a Comment