Saturday, September 14, 2013

Galaxy Diner

8/11/13:



Stars: 4 out of 5
Pros: Decore/Theme, Drinks, Food
Cons: Meal Accouterments



     BN and I knew we had a day of drinking ahead of us. It was Saturday after all. We decided to give the Watermelon Festival a quick glance prior to heading out, which put us in Cary Town. Being professionals, we knew the key to a successful day drink was a good base. I suggested Galaxy Diner (Galaxy Diner Facebook) mostly due to me not yet getting a chance to eat there yet. Plus, it's a diner which means breakfast which makes me a happy man. We pushed the button, the doors slid open and in we went.

     Galaxy Diner is your late night hole in the wall metal plated wall diner. It's theme is space and aliens, as I assume you gathered. And their love for it is evident everywhere! You can't help but glance around and smile. It's just so much fun. I love that they embraced it, went with it and don't offer the slightest apology. Do you Galaxy Diner. Do you!



     As we were sitting down, we glanced at the taps. Yes, it was 10 am, but who says that's too early for a beer? Not that I listen to nay-sayers anyway. Galaxy only has a few taps, but they offer a good variety. They serve PBR proudly (I don't hate them for it), but they also support local with Hardywood on tap. I believe I also saw Lagunitas, which is a solid brewery. So, they are doing beer right. What struck my fancy this morning was a mimosa. Galaxy makes a decent one. Not overly juicy like some tend to be. Good size for the $5 price too. I mean, I prefer a pitcher for $5, but I'm aware I'm unrealistic in my demands. They also had a watermelon mimosa in honor of the festival. That was STUNNING! The chunks of watermelon were fresh and crisp. The watermelon juice (is that just water?) was light, refreshing and flavorful. I would say that could be my new summer morning drink. Top marks. BN had a Bloody Mary, of which I am not a fan. He liked it, but as the driver stuck to only one. Bless his partial responsibility.




     As we supped our beverages, we perused the menu. There are some interesting selections on there, like the Black Hole pancakes, which have an Oreo baked into the center. These caught my attention, but the thought of eggs, cheese, meat and sausage gravy won out. I went with the Ham Solo. All of these things are served over some potatoes (I'll admit it now, I'm slowly becoming a potato eater) with green peppers and onions. How does one pass up a pile like that? They don't, that's how. BN went with biscuits & gravy with a side of sausage patties. I have started to appreciate this dish myself since moving south. We just don't do biscuits up north. We are bagel people and always will be. Just another gorge that keeps our country from being fully united...

     It didn't take long for our food to come out. Maybe too fast even as BN had to send his sausage patties back to finish warming them up. The waitress was super pleasant about it and quickly remedied the issue. I was very disappointed to find that my meal didn't come with toast. With nice runny eggs and sausage gravy everywhere, why would you NOT provide me a sponge with which to mop up the mess? I would say that was my greatest and only disappointment with my meal. The actual food was very good. The eggs were nice and runny as I like them. The potatoes and vegetables were seasoned well. The gravy was an excellent addition. In all, tasty. A good solid breakfast to start my day. BN seemed to enjoy his as well. I have gotten out of the habit of asking my dining peers for their opinions. My apologies, I'll get back on that.




     Galaxy Diner does the diner thing right. They provide a quick, hardy and tasty meal for a reasonable price. Drinks fit all tastes and are well made. It's a good place to stop in for a pre-festival breakfast or a late night post-booze snack. Galaxy Diner does a wonderful job at being that unpretentious we-do-what-we-do place in Cary Town and they do it well. Next time you need a base before a solid day of drinks, give them a try.

No comments:

Post a Comment