Sunday, January 19, 2014

Dominion Christmas Parade

12/7/13:



Stars: 5.0 out of 5.0
Pros: Draws Big Crowd, Family Friendly, Great Floats/Balloons, Long
Cons: NONE! It's a PARADE!!!



     I look forward to the Dominion Christmas Parade (Christmas Parade) with a deep passion. I love a good parade for all the typical reasons: floats, fire trucks, candy and the potential to maybe see some hot cheerleaders (here's looking at you Richmond Raiders Cheer Squad). Richmond delivered last year so I was stoked for this year. I sent all the appropriate emails, requested all of the needed breakfast foods and packed a bag to be ready to get out early. PARADE!!!

     I arrived on W. Broad in front of the DMV promptly at 7:45am. There were very few people out on the street as the weather was a little rough (cold and windy) so I had prime spots to choose from. I set-up my camp chair and roped off my area and began the waiting game. The cop parked across the street must have thought me insane, but we all have a touch of the crazy. Don't you judge me policeman.



     As I waited for everyone (ok, anyone else) to arrive I got to see all the floats being moved into position. Nothing like seeing Santa's sleigh sans Santa to get the party started. I also watched all of the bands, dance groups and miscellaneous other participants get all jazzed up (that felt a little corny... lets go with it). It was an interesting view of the day to come.



     LB, CB and BN arrived bearing treats and conversation. I was very grateful for both. The crowd this year was a little smaller then last year, but I think the weather was to blame for that. It was windy as all get out which made it a scoach chilly. Thankfully, we huddled together, had fleece blankets and had tasty apple muffins to get us through. So, we waited and chatted until 10am when the parade started.

BN, LB & CB respectively.

     I wont go into terribly deep detail about the parade because that would be long and tedious. I will say that everything was well done and a lot of fun. Everything was family friendly with candy for the kids and a lot of personal interaction. The floats were very well done by all groups who submitted them. All of the dance groups performed well. The bands played with loud gusto in a cheery Christmas way. Overall, a great presentation by everyone. It was worth standing in the cold for 2 hours. I also LOVE that it's such a long parade. Two hours is perfect.












     I will always be a fan of Christmas and parades. And I am deeply in love with Richmond. Combining the two together really is the jump start to the holidays. If you haven't been yet, get your life together, bake some muffins, gather your friends or family and GET OUT THERE!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment