Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Going Outside Of Richmond - Thanksgiving in Albany, NY

11/28/13:



     I will be the first to admit that I am grateful everyday that I left my hometown of Albany, NY. I will also admit that I wish I had done so sooner. That being said, I don't get home to visit my family as often as I would like to. The trip from Richmond to Albany is about 9 hours which is part of the reason. I got the opportunity to go home for Thanksgiving this year. I worked a full day, packed the dog into the car and headed home for y first Thanksgiving in several years.

     The drive home was miserable, mostly due to the fact that driving on 95 is always tragic. Plus I needed to stop and take a quick 30 minute nap around 1 in the morning. When I got home around 3:30am my parents were awake. I sat and talked with them for a few hours as they started making food for the day.

     We always go to my grandparents house for Thanksgiving, but my parents generally make the turkey at our house. For the past few years my dad and a buddy of his have raised turkeys for Thanksgiving. They buy a dozen chicks, raise them on fresh produce/corn and then kill them in the beginning of November. It is amazing how fat those little suckers get over the course of 7 months. Our turkey this year was roughly 38lbs... for 12 people. Fingers crossed we have enough food...

     I much prefer coming home for Thanksgiving as opposed to Christmas cause it's quieter. I get to see family, have a nice big meal and don't feel overwhelmed. As we gathered at my grandparents house, the smell of great food  began to assail my nostrils. I couldn't wait to dig in!!

     Being a big Italian/German/Irish family, we believe that no plate should be served until it is practically overflows onto the floor. So, everyone brings way too much food. On top of a giant turkey we also had 2 types of stuffing, rolls, cheesy sliced turnip, cranberry sauce (both from a can as the good lord intended and homemade), pearl onions and green bean casserole. You could hardly see my plate under the piles of happiness.





     When we were all done with dinner, we relaxed with wine, beer (my brother picked up  a nice IPA from a brewery in the Adirondacks), gin martini's and coffee. We hadn't rested long when desserts started to crop up on the table. Apple pie, pumpkin pie and homemade birthday cake for my dad & sister. My brain said no, but my stomach said "Don't be a little girl". So, I went with a slice of each and consequences be damned.

     Overall, it was a wonderful holiday. I love getting to see my family, especially my little 2 year old niece. The food was fabulous and I was grateful for the leftovers. I'm really looking forward to the day my family gets to come here and I can host. Until then I guess I'll drive 9 hours to stuff my face. Worth it every time.

No comments:

Post a Comment