Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Going Outside of Richmond- Main Street Cafe in Valatie, NY

12/1/13:



Stars: 4.7 out of 5.0
Pros: Small Town Feel, Friendly Service, Huge Portions, Delicious Food
Cons: Long Wait, No Website



     One thing I will say about my family is that they do not hesitate to drive a bit of distance to find quality food. Especially if it allows us to combine IMPERATIVE stops that must be made while in NY. These include the following purchases that are hard, if not impossible to find in VA: NY style pizza, Bruegger's bagels, a 30 rack of Labatt Blue for $14 and fresh apple cider doughnuts. It's that last pick-up that requires us to drive 20 minutes outside of Albany to Valatie. While we are out there, we like to hit up the Main Street Cafe for breakfast. It is always a wonderful choice.

     The Main Street Cafe is an old building located along an old school strip of classic small town Americana. It's a refreshing step out of the hyper-developed landscape that is a lot of where we seem to reside. It's the main street of the town all those country songs are set in. And, in it's simplicity it is wonderful. That feeling continues into the building. Everyone seems like a regular and they all seem to know each other. It truly provides a fantastic atmosphere that envelopes you from first step in to last step out.



     The only really issue with being the only joint in town is that you are the ONLY joint in town. This leads to really really long waits. That's never something you want to have happen for your first meal of the day. Causes lots of grumpiness. Now, I can't really fault the Main Street Cafe for this. They are simply at the mercy of the response to the quality products they put out. Add to the fact that it's 2014 and there is no website... I deduct no points from the restaurant itself, but I remove .3 from my total experience because I said so. LAY OFF ME, I'M STARVING!!!

     We were sat by a very friendly young waitress. I will say that both times I have been there the waitstaff had been very pretty. I applaud that as it never hurts my experience to be helped by a pretty woman.I will also say that our waitress was extremely nice. She had a friendly demeanor and really took an interest in our table. She was attentive to water glasses, which for me is a big must. It was just a solid showing by a well trained and smart waitstaff all around.



     The menu for breakfast is classic dinner fare. Nothing fancy and outrageous. Just good, hearty meals meant to stick with you all day. My dad and I went with basic omelettes with home fries (he added a side of sausage. My brother had corn beef hash and eggs. My mom chose cinnamon raisin french toast. A semi-variety of menu items for our sampling pleasure. Both omelettes were of a good size and well filled. Mine was the farmer which meant it was filled with onion, peppers, tomato, ham and sausage. It was very good. It had a good balance of meat and veggies which is not an easy thing to achieve. And it was filling. I almost didn't get to the home fries (ok, we all know that's a lie...). The home fires could have been a bit crispier, but they were excellent with a little hot sauce. Everyone seemed to enjoy their meal as they ate all of it. My mom was a fan of her cinnamon raisin french toast. She's gotten it before so it must be pretty good.






Sorry about the bad quality...
     Overall, I am fairly impressed with the Main Street Cafe. It's just quality food at cheap prices in a great environment. It is a step out of the fast-paced life for an hour or so. If you ever happen to find yourself in Upstate NY, maybe for some apple picking, try to stop in for breakfast. I'm pretty sure you'll be glad you did.

No comments:

Post a Comment