Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Bev's Homemade Ice Cream

4/6/13:


Stars: 4 out of 5
Pros: Layout/Decor, Flavors, Quality
Cons: Price


    
Like I said before, NK has moved into town. So, since she was new and the weather was nice, I wanted to show her around Carytown. I'm a big Carytown fan, as I have expressed before and I think it's a nice diverse area to introduce someone to on a Saturday morning. As we walked and browsed the stores NK mentioned that she was getting unfocused because her blood sugar was dropping. As we were almost upon it, I suggested we stop in at Bev's Homemade Ice Cream (Bev's Facebook Page)
 for a quick rejuvenator. NK gave me the thumbs up so we stopped in.


     Bev's is located down across from the Bryd Theater on Cary St. in a building it shares with a salon. The Bev's side is painted a bright pink color, but it isn't offensive to the eye. There are several chairs to relax in out front and benchs not far away for those days where an ice cream can only be truly enjoyed in the sunshine and fresh air. Inside is very open with significant seating (for an ice cream joint). There are plenty of seats that look out the big front window, perfect for people watching. The counter is situated at the opposite wall from the front window which allows for the line of customers to be slightly seperated from the diners providing for nice table conversation. The walls are modestly painted so as not to seem loud and obnoxious. It's a nice setting for a quick frozen treat.


     Bev's has a wide selection of treats for all types of people. They were rocking about 10 different flavors of ice cream and probably an equal number in gelato, frozen yogurt and sherbert flavors as well. Granted, I could be super low on that count, but I'm getting older and I can't remember everything. There are sundays, shakes, splits and baked goods. You can try any flavor they have and the girl who served us was very pleasent and knowledgeable. She was able to articulately answer all of our questions with good humor. The diversity of options certainly takes a moment for you to process so make sure you glance at everything before committing. The only thing worse then ice cream buyers remorse is dropping it on the ground.



     NK had never really had gelato before so she tried a small scoop of pistachio to see if she would like it. She did indeed like it and got herself a sugar cone of it. She appreciated that it was a little creamier then ice cream and didn't have an overwhelming flavor. I, myself, went with cookies & cream which has ALWAYS been a favorite of mine. Bev's homemakes all of their ice cream and it is evident. It has a great flavor with no hint of freezer burn or poor ingredients. The cookie chunks were big and chocolaty. But, unlike some versions of cookies & cream, the vanilla was distinct with little cross contamination. What I mean is that you get some varietys where the vanilla is grey because so much of the cookie has gotten mushed up and mixed in with it. That is not the case here. Pure all around. I got mine on a plain cake cake cone. Of course, the 2 different cones sparked fierce debate as to which was better, but that is a post in itself.



     The one complaint I have is the price. I know, me whining about price again. You all begin to think my wallet requires the jaws of life to open it which isn't true. I fully accept that you pay for quality and Bev's is certainly quality. But I think what annoys me is that a product that is supposed to be a small treat is such a big hit to the bank account. I'm not talking millions of dollars or even $10. It was $4 for my cone. I just feel that is a touch high, but again, that could be me. You will have to judge for yourself.

     Bev's Homemade Ice Cream was the perfect treat for our long walk on Saturday. It pumped up our blood sugar and got us ready to finish browsing the other side of the street. I would recommend Bev's next time you find ourself in a day of shopping in Carytown.

No comments:

Post a Comment