Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Mekong

3/28/13:


Stars: 4 out of 5
Pros: Space, Beer Selection, Portions
Cons: Outside


     As I stared into the fridge I realized how much I didn't, wouldn't, and COULDN'T cook anything I had that night. It was one of those times that I wished I had someone to cook for me. Needless to say, that wasn't happening. So, what to do? It came to me immediately. Text MC and see if she wants to get dinner at someplace new (well, new for me). Thankfully, she came through on both accounts. She suggested meeting at Mekong (Mekong) at 6:45. Done and done.

     Mekong is located on W. Broad St. in what looks to be the shadiest building ever. It is kinda packed into a building with a few other businesses. From the outside, you worry. But, it's a whole different story once you get inside. The inside of Mekong is actually very nice. And it's HUGE! There is a ton of space. There are rooms upon rooms. Plus a giant bar area. Pretty much a perfect spot if you have a lot of people getting together or coming into town. MC did say that even with all of the space, you still have to have a reservation for Friday nights as it gets that busy. Thankfully, this wasn't a Friday so we were seated right away.



















     Mekong, if they are proud of nothing else, are proud of their beer selection. As they should be. Their beer menu of tap beers alone is impressive. They have an amazing selection that encompasses all styles and flavor profiles. I supported a newer local brewery, Center Of The Universe. I got their IPA, PocaHOPtas. It was excellent. It was very hoppy, which I love, and had a great full flavor. MC got a beer called Breakfast of Champions. It is a "badass coffee stout" that certainly lived up to it's description. It was chocolaty with a solid coffee kick on the back end. Very tasty and well worth getting next time. We only had a brew each, but they were excellent. Mekong is certainly for beer lovers.


     The menu at Mekong is not what I would define as extensive. Yes, it's big, but that is because they have all the different main ingredients (chicken, beef, etc.) listed on its own page. But, if you not, it is the same dishes in each list with just a different main ingredient. So, you will see pork with a spicy ginger sauce on one page. Then you will see it with chicken on another and beef on another, so on and so forth. So, like I said, big but not extensive. I'm fine with that. Know what you're good at. MC convinced me to try the noodle soup. She told me it's a huge portion and very filling. It was just chilly enough out that soup worked. MC ordered the Mi Hoanh Thanh, which is the soup with egg noodles, wontons and shredded pork. She also got an order of the crispy vegetable spring rolls (Chia Gio). I went with the Hu Tieu Mi Nam Vang, which had clear and egg noodles with shrimp, pork, fish balls and pork liver. I also got the soft spring roll with pork and shrimp (Goi Cuon). She went with the small bowl of soup, I with the large. While we waited we chatted of other restaurants on our list to visit. Always a good way to pass the time: talk of different food while waiting for food. Glad we really branched out in the topics...

     Our rolls arrived first (and quickly) as an appetizer. Mine was served with what I believe to be a plum sauce with crushed nuts on it. I could be WAY off, but that's what it tasted like. The roll was a decent size and packed with filling. It was served a few degrees below room temperature. It was excellent that way. The shell kept together and it left the vegetables crunchy. I dipped in the sauce a few times, but didn't feel it was required to add to the flavor. It did lend a slight sweetness to counter the pork, but not enough that it was a must do. MC got 2 rolls with her order. They were deep fried, so served warm. They were also thinner then mine. They came with the same sauce, I believe. She said they were very good, nice and crispy.


















     Our soups arrived shortly after the appetizers. Mine came in what I can only describe as a gallon bowl. MC's was maybe a half-gallon bowl. Either way, it was a lot of soup. Now, what I forgot to mention before is that the broth/base of these soups is built on chicken broth, bean sprouts, cilantro, scallions and lettuce. It is served with lime slices and fresh diced chili. I added the lime and as much chili as I could fit into the bowl. I like it spicy and that did the trick. I will say that I truly enjoyed my soup. It was incredibly flavorful and hearty. The pork liver was tasty as was the fishy. Neither over-powered the milder chicken flavor. The little bite of the cilantro was a nice taste change every few bites. Add all this to the fact that you could have swam in this bowl meant that it was a great meal. MC enjoyed hers too and proceeded to pick out and eat all the wonton noodles. She left some soup in her bowl, but that is forgiven as it would have filled a 64 oz. beer mug...


















     Mekong proved that great little restaurants can be found in some shady areas. I was very impressed with the whole meal. I will certainly need to explore the menu more in the future. If you find yourself in a large group looking for someplace different with a great beer, go to Mekong. The draft selection alone will make it a good trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment